Posted by: Sound Marketing for House Smart Home Improvements
- Keep track of the recommended time for which the roof tiles are rated. This can be done by checking the warranty. Usually a roof will need to be replaced once the warranty wears out.
- If the roof needs to be replaced, consider an upgrade especially if it needs to be replaced sooner than expected.
- Research roof tiles and recommended amounts of insulation that can be placed underneath if planning a full replacement.
- Always check for loose or damaged shingles that can be replaced one by one without replacing the entire roof.
There are many projects that can be done to the garage from cleaning to organizing to finding new uses.
- Begin the season by going through and cleaning the garage.
- Apply a fresh coat of sealant to the flooring if needed.
- Think about whether the walls or floor could be painted or freshened with a new coat.
- There are many inventive ways to add shelving and other types of organizations systems to garages.
- If the homeowners anticipate converting the home to a universal design, a handicap ramp accessible from the inside of the garage may be a unique way to access the first floor from street level.
- Bike tires will last longer if the bike is hung on a rack or hook.
- Rather than thinking about eliminating storage from the garage, think about it as a creative storage area.
- An extra freezer or other appliances can fit nicely into a garage, especially if shelving accompanies the unit.
Power Washer DetailsThere are so many useful ways that a power washer comes in handy for the home.
- It is recommended that the driveway is cleaned yearly with a power washer prior to fixing cracks and to providing a fresh coat of sealant.
- The garage floor is another surface that can greatly benefit from a through cleansing.
- The sidewalks surrounding the home would also need to be cleaned prior to fixing cracks.
- Concrete porches can accumulate more stains and dirt than one might think. Use a power washer to clean the surface.
Different types of siding need different maintenance schedules.
- Regardless of the type, all siding needs to be cleaned yearly. Most types can be cleaned with a power washer, but thin vinyl would need a garden hose with an attachment and a cleaning solution designed for vinyl.
- If there has been some damage to the siding during the year, repair each piece. Hopefully your home came with extra pieces of siding. If not, when new pieces are purchased, plan ahead for the next set of repairs.
- If the siding is a natural wood or a painted wood, consider restaining and repainting respectively.
- There are many new types of siding on the market today. If your siding is in disrepair or if it has been high maintenance for the past several years, explore options and plan to replace it. Trim, house colors, and other decorative ideas could be updated at the same time.
FencesPrivacy and decorative fences are beautiful assets to the landscaping and are always on the radar for home maintenance project lists.
- Begin to inspect the fence by making a judgement about the
- Inspect the gate latches and make sure they work seamlessly. If the posts have moved, make an adjustment to the latch. If a repair is not possible or if the latch is too old, replace it.
- Check to see if the gates open and close smoothly. The gate, along with the latching system, may need to be replaced.
Doors and WindowsWindows and doors must stand up to the weather and to a lot of wear and tear.
- The summer is the most ideal time to repaint wooden windows & trims. Begin by scraping, applying a primer, and then painting the units.
- Consider replacing the doors and windows with energy efficient alternatives that can save the environment, the budget, and taxes.
Air ConditionersAs the season begins to warm, make sure the air conditioner is working properly well in advance.
- Have the unit inspected at the beginning of the season yearly.
- Maintain the shrubbery from around the outdoor unit. Remove shrubs and foliage from within two feet around the unit.
- Make sure to clean and replace filters when it is recommended by the manufacturer.
Lawn EquipmentDuring the growing season, lawn equipment is at the height of its usage and need.
- Regularly sharpen the mower blades; mid-season if needed.
- If the lawn mower is older than 5 years, make sure it has been serviced before the grass needs regular cutting.
- Like every other tool and appliance today, consider purchasing a high efficiency mower.
Repair Cracks!Begin to inspect cracks in the foundation by walking around the perimeter of your home.
- Repair the cracks with a recommended grout.
- Inspect and repair cracks within the basement walls.
Prolong the lifespan of the driveway by with yearly maintenance.
- Begin with the first steps by fixing the cracks with the type of filler recommended for concrete, asphalt, or brick pavers.
- If years of cracks have been repaired and the driveway is outdated, resurface the driveway with tar / asphalt.
- Consider redesigning the driveway to complement your home and landscape design. Stone and concrete imprinted design are two trends.
Garage DoorsIf the automatic garage door has shown unusual habits of opening and closing only halfway, opening again after it has been closed, or making loud screeching noises, it can be both maintained and repaired.
- Yearly, the garage door can be oiled. This job can be done easily by the homeowner.
- For doors that are not closing and opening as they should regularly, consider having it inspected and repaired.
- The springs could be close to the end of their lifespan and will need to be replaced. Do not ever attempt to service the springs; always hire a professional.
Like Us on Facebook! Click Here
House Smart Home Improvements are experienced professionals with an A+ Rating with the Better Business Bureau. When it’s time to replace your windows, doors or furnaces and heat pumps, or to install insulation, and other energy-efficient home upgrades, Give us a call. 604-585-2020. Right now, save 100 per window for a limited time if you live in the lower mainland, BC Canada
House Smart Home Improvements
Phone: 604 581 1904 / Fax: 604 581 1985
Phone: 604 581 1904 / Fax: 604 581 1985